BOOKS & BONE
A small town of necromancers. A girl who wants to resurrect old magic. A boy who wants to bring back the past — and doesn’t care who has to die to get it. LIRAEL meets WHAT WE DO IN THE SHADOWS in this librarian-and-necromancy high fantasy.
BOOKS AND BONE is complete at 98,000 words and is currently preparing for publishing.
NON PLAYER CHARACTER
Tar has always felt like a non-player character. She never seems to have enough words to say — to her mum, to her friends, in her job. She feels like she’s just running through set lines and cannot express herself as a person. She’s tried all kinds of escapism — books, video games — but she’s heard Dungeons & Dragons is the real deal.
The only problem: she’ll have to meet people. Face-to-face. And with her awkward mix of autism and anxiety, she’s never been great with people. In fact, she’s been voice-losing, muscle-twitching, running-away bad.
NON PLAYER CHARACTER is currently being drafted. You can read the ongoing 1st draft in serial form for free on Wattpad.
Wydis attempts to tame a feral blackwing dragon in the hopes that together they can challenge the Elysian Knight laying claim to her village in the empty wilds. Only a fellow dragon rider can challenge a Knight, and only nobility are ever given the precious dragon eggs. But Wydis is not a noble and she’ll have to do without a noble dragon or the divine connection that imprinting on a hatchling brings. This blackwing could be her only hope of saving her home — if it doesn’t kill her, first.
BLACKWING WITCH is currently being drafted. You can read the ongoing 1st draft in serial form for free on Wattpad.
I’m audio vlogging about my experiences as a writer and as a human. It’s rough and rambling and my accent goes on an adventure of its own — and I think pretty accurately captures what it’s like to be a writer with no clue but the determination to do something.
I’m not someone who has all (or any) of the answers, so it’s less of a writing class and more a peek into one writer’s life. My hope is that charting my struggles and successes will help other writers feel less isolated.
You can listen to it on Youtube.
To contact me for business matters, you can reach me at my email address victoriacorvabooks(at)gmail.com. I’m usually pretty quick to respond.
Some things about me:
- I’m a professional audiobook narrator! I read the Harry Potter books to my partner years ago and discovered a love of reading aloud and a little narcissism about my own voice (I’m allowed to be a little narcisstic, right?). Now people pay me to record their books!
- I trained in and adore animal behaviour and spend a lot of time studying wildlife. A particular area of wonder for me is birds; an area of comfort is pets.
- I’m autistic and this has been a big revelation for me and explained a lot about my life. I didn’t get diagnosed until I was 26 but it turns out basically everyone else already knew!
- I spent most of my life with the disclaimer ‘not actually a witch’, but nobody believed me and I guess time does tell because I’m a moon witch-in-training now and it feels a lot like home.
- If you hear me talking about my familiar, don’t panic: that’s my cat, Merlin. As far as we can tell, I’m the more demonic of the pair. He’s a very good witch’s companion.
I write about what fascinates me, but not necessarily what I love. That so much of my work focuses on necromancers makes sense but in an odd way. You see, I’m terrified of death and the dead. So … to write about the things that scare me — to humanize and sometimes humourize them — that’s where I find a deep well of creativity.
As for Dungeons & Dragons: it’s amazing to take something that has had such a profound effect on my life and turn it into fiction. Maybe others will relate to the story. Maybe it will bring others to the hobby. All I know is that I love writing about the experience.
If you want to get to know me, I’m shy on twitter but I never shut-up on Mastodon. Visit me there: I’m quite awkward but always happy for someone to say hello!